Monday, August 20, 2012

Now, I understand

A few months back, this excellent blog post was circling the interwebz. It really did wonders, I think, to bridge the gap between parents and non-parents who read it.

You come to a point in your life (most likely, 20s and 30s) where everyone around you is pregnant and starting families. Since we waited so long to have a baby, I now have friends whose children are almost teens! As a non-parent, you may feel pushed aside. Even people you were very close to have seemingly forgotten you.

Now, I understand.

Becoming a parent instantly changes you, whether you like it or not. Things you held as a top priority go flying out the window. Nothing now is as important as taking care of this child and making him/her happy. Even a solid marriage can take a hit if one isn't careful. It's just.so.much.

We can coexist. And 5 months in, I can tell you that relationships begin to blossom again. Plans are made and there are grandmothers willing to watch the baby for a date night/girl's night/guy's night. I know my husband and I often take turns watching C so that we can still have a semblance of our old life and partake in things that interested us pre-baby and still do post-baby.

I will do my best from now on when those around me have children to support and encourage, because it's one of the hardest tasks to take on. I will bring meals, come by to have adult interaction, hold the baby so Mom can shower.

Because now, I understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment